I bet that you, like me, are receiving many emails about COVID-19 (aka corona virus) and how it is going to impact your shopping, sports viewing, etc. Well, this is the email you have actually been waiting for. This email, from our leadership team, is all about COVID-19 and the Ventura Vineyard.
First, please watch this video: It is our friend Science Mike giving an excellent explanation of the challenge we all face. He does it with wisdom, so we can avoid panic and act with sanity.
Now that you’ve hopefully done that let me tell you that the Ventura Vineyard will be MEETING this Sunday at 10 am, as usual. Our space affords us the unique opportunity to meet AND have the necessary “social distance” between us. We will be putting out more chairs and spreading them father apart to facilitate this.
I will say more about our meeting in a minute. First, though, I know that many receiving this still won’t feel comfortable being in the same public space for an extended period of time with others. Also, some of you may already feel ill or have health issues that make you especially vulnerable. Still others may have traveled to one of the impacted areas (as of this writing that includes China, Iran, S Korea, Santa Clara County, California, New York and Seattle) and are now asked to self-quarantine for 14 days.
For all of you in those categories, we are taping the service and will post it later the same day. In other words, you will be able to watch it as if you were there.
Here’s what we want you to know:
- We’re monitoring the situation, including recommendations by local and state government. If local public health officials recommend cancelling gatherings we will notify you, at the moment the recommendation is to cancel anything over 250 people.
- We will update you via email if there are any changes.
- We are working with cleaning services to find ways to make sure our place is as clean and germ free as possible.
- We will not be serving food or drinks, the coffee bar will be closed, and we are cancelling the bbq lunch planned for March 22. Stay tuned for updates on future lunches and the coffee bar reopening.
- We are working towards possibly live streaming the service, so that families can stay home and enjoy. You can always access the podcast through the app. For a short time we will be adding Worship to these audio recordings as well.
On the personal side:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing, or having been in a public place.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid handshakes or hugs. Express love through non-contact means such as “heart sign with fingers“
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick and stay away from large gatherings and crowds.
- If you feel sick, please contact your doctor first before seeking medical care, so that appropriate precautions can be taken. If you have an emergency, please call 911. Your personal doctor can answer questions about your health and circumstances.
Stay tuned for more info in the coming days. We can work together as a community and come through this. Please feel free to email me or one of the members of the leadership team if you have questions, suggestions, etc.
 If you have had recent an unexplained or untested upper respiratory infection with symptoms including fever and cough please watch online and come back after 14 days of self quarantine. If you are over the age of 60 and have a health condition including emphysema, chronic bronchitis or cardiovascular disease please watch online for your own safety.
 If you’ve had contact with someone who tested positive please self-quarantine for 14 days. Encourage people over the age of 60 and especially those with health conditions including emphysema, chronic bronchitis or cardiovascular disease to attend services virtually.