Our Leadership Team has been discussing the idea of changing our name for years, yet reluctant to start the conversation with the community because of the financial implications (e.g. creating new signage). Now that we’re moving down a few doors, which has started a physical transformation for our community, we are thinking this would be an opportune time.
Why would this be an ideal time?
- The idea that “Ventura Vineyard is moving” isn’t as appealing as the “Ventura Vineyard relaunched as [insert new name here] and meeting at a new location”, to our local Ventura County community.
- We are currently in the process of establishing a new Mission, Vision, and Values for the community (which will be released soonish). A new name could commingle nicely with this other change.
- We are building a new atmosphere with our new location, a new name change should factor into the design of that new atmosphere as much as possible.
- If we’re buying new signs we should be certain they’re going to last. 😉
- The Ventura Vineyard is part of the Association of Vineyard Churches. We have not been financially or personally active in the association for several years. For this reason it could be beneficial let go of the Vineyard portion of our name.
- The “Vineyard” name implies that we are both a charismatic and evangelical church. For visitors who are attracted by the Vineyard nameit is a disappointment to find out that we are not. For others, the Vineyard name is a reason not to visit our community. Therefore, our public identity may be wrapped up in a name that not necessarily represent us.
Has the decision to change the name been made?
Absolutely not; only the decision to bring it forward to the community and start a conversation. Give us your opinion on whether a namechange is something you’d like or not, especially if you have a suggested new name.